This is an archived release.
Steady increase in number of apprentices
The number of apprentices in upper secondary education is constantly increasing. From 2005 to 2006, the number of apprentices increased by 10 per cent.
There were 224 300 pupils and apprentices in upper secondary education at 1 October 2006, an increase of 5 per cent compared with 2005. The population for people aged 16-18 years old has increased by roughly 7 300 people for the same period. The total number of apprentices in autumn 2006 was 34 400, an increase of 3 100 since 2005.
In addition to the apprentices, there were 830 trainees in upper secondary education. Data of trainees was collected for the first time in 2006. As a trainee you sign an apprenticeship contract with a training establishment and take a less comprehensive test than the vocational examination, a skills test. 30 per cent of the trainees are women.
Almost 18 600 candidates sat for vocational examination in school year 2005/06, a decline of 100 candidates from the previous year.
Seven out of ten immigrants are first-generation immigrants
There were approximately 18 300 immigrants in upper secondary education at 1 October 2006, 16 700 pupils and 1 600 apprentices/trainees. 72 percent of the immigrants in upper secondary education are first-generation immigrants.
- Table 1 Vocational examination candidates, by category and results. School year 1998/99-2005/06
- Table 2 Pupils, apprentices, trainees in upper secondary education, students and participants in upper secondary education, by age, type of school/institution and gender. 1 October 2006
- Table 3 Pupils,apprentices and trainees in upper secondary education, by field of study1, grade and county of residence. 1. October 2006
Table 4 Pupils, apprentices and trainees in upper secondary education, by education programmes/field of study.
1 October 2006. Percentage of women
- Table 5 Pupils, apprentices and trainees in upper secondary education with immigrant background in upper secondary education, by immigration category. 1 October 2006
- Table 6 Pupils, apprentices and trainees in upper secondary education in per cent of registered cohorts 16 -18 years, by immigrant background, immigration category and gender. 1. October 2006