This is an archived release.
9 out of 10 passed vocational examinations
Nine out of 10 passed their vocational examinations. Results from upper secondary education shows that candidates who sat for vocational examinations in 2004 performed better than those in certificate courses.
As high as 93 per cent of candidates who sat for vocational examinsations passed in 2004. The corresponding proportion among candidates in cerficate courses was 76 per cent. Candidates from technical vocational schools had a pass-rate of 83 per cent. Almost 94 per cent of pupils in folk high schools completed their education and 75 per cent completion among pupils in other upper secondary education programmes.
Many adults apply for upper secondary education
Pupils and apprentices in ordinary courses whose ages are higher than 19 and 20 years were slightly below 20 000. In addition, almost 42 000 individuals applied or participated in upper secondary education as adults. Most of them have applied to educational centres offering adult education while a small number have applied for ordinary courses.
Approximately 90 per cent of the adult applicants aim at achieving certificate or vocational qualifications. About 64 per cent of the registered adults were offered educational programmes and 19 per cent had documentation of competence assessment.
Expenditure on upper secondary education in 2004
The average cost of upper secondary education in 2004 was a little above NOK 54 000 measured as adjusted gross operating expenditure per pupil. The general areas of study cost an average of NOK 44 000 while the vocational areas were more expensive at above NOK 64 000 per pupil. This comes in addition to expenditure common to the two areas of study. These include about NOK 51 000 on school buildings, on administration, transport and board, study areas common to both general and vocational studies, and special education, all adjusted per pupil. Adjusted gross operating expenditure for apprenticeship on the average was NOK 45 000 per apprentice.
- Table 1 Completed educational programmes, by gender and results. School year 2003/2004
- Table 2 Pupils, apprentices, students and participants in upper secondary education, by type of school, gender and age. 1 October 2004
- Table 3 Adults, applicants and pupils or apprentices, in upper secondary education regulated by the Education Act, by type of schooling. 1 October 2004
- Table 4 Adjusted gross operating expenditures, upper secondary education, per pupil
- Table 5 Adjusted gross operating expenditures per pupil, by field of study and county. 2004