Hidemichi YonezawaDownload CV (102 KB)
About Hidemichi Yonezawa
Hidemichi Yonezawa is a researcher in the Division for Energy and Environmental Economics at the Research Department at Statistics Norway. His research focuses on analyzing the role of public policy by employing both theoretical framework and numerical simulation models. He investigates how to design public policy by examining the economic efficiency and distributional impacts across regions and among households differentiated by various socio-economic characteristics, such as income, residence area (urban vs. rural), or age. His research focuses on environmental/energy economics and international trade. Before joining Statistics Norway, he was a postdoctoral researcher at ETH Zurich and University of Ottawa. He earned a Ph.D. in Mineral and Energy Economics and a Master's degree in Engineering and Technology Management at Colorado School of Mines, and also holds a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry and Engineering from Tohoku University.
Selected Working Papers:
- “ Optimal environmental border adjustments under the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade,” (with Edward J. Balistreri and Daniel T. Kaffine), revision requested by Environmental and Resource Economics .
- “ Comparing applied general equilibrium and econometric estimates of the effect of an environmental policy shock,” (with Jared C. Carbone, Nicolas Rivers, and Akio Yamazaki), revision requested by Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists .
- “ Trade and FDI-related impacts of Brexit,” (with María C. Latorre and Zoryana Olekseyuk), revision requested by The World Economy .
- “Making sense of Brexit losses: A user-friendly review of studies,” (with María C. Latorre, Zoryana Olekseyuk, and Sherman Robinson), revision requested by Economic Modelling .
- “On the nature of foreign multinationals in services sectors: A general equilibrium analysis applied to the impact of Brexit,” (with María C. Latorre and Zoryana Olekseyuk), 2018.
Publications (Journal Articles):
- “ Higher price, lower costs? Minimum prices in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme,” (with Jan Abrell and Sebastian Rausch), Scandinavian Journal of Economics , 121(2): 446-481, 2019.
- “ The intergenerational incidence of green tax reform,” (with Sebastian Rausch), Climate Change Economics , 9(01): 1-25, 2018. The ETH working paper version is mentioned in the NEP-DGE blog.
- “ Stopped TTIP? Its potential impact on the world and the role of neglected FDI,” (with María C. Latorre), Economic Modelling , 71: 99-120, 2018.
- “ Poverty, welfare and income distribution implications of reducing trade costs through deep integration in Eastern and Southern Africa ,” (with Edward J. Balistreri, Maryla Maliszewska, Israel Osorio-Rodarte, and David G. Tarr), Journal of African Economies , 27(2): 172-200, 2018.
- “ A general equilibrium analysis of FDI growth in Chinese services sectors,” (with María C. Latorre and Jing Zhou), China Economic Review , 47: 172-188, 2018.
- “ Vertical fiscal externalities and the environment,” (with Christoph B öhringer and Nicholas Rivers), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management , 77: 51-74, 2016.
- “ A rural myth? Sources and implications of the perceived unfairness of carbon taxes in rural communities,” (with Marisa Beck and Nicholas Rivers), Ecological Economics , 124: 124-134, 2016.
- “ Deep integration in eastern and southern Africa: What are the stakes?,” (with Edward J. Balistreri and David Tarr), Journal of African Economies , 24(5): 677-706, 2015.
- “ Carbon tax and revenue recycling: Impacts on households in British Columbia,” (with Marisa Beck, Nicholas Rivers, and Randy Wigle), Resource and Energy Economics 41: 40-69, 2015.
- “ Consumption rebound could undermine border carbon-adjustment charges,” (with Edward J. Balistreri and Daniel T. Kaffine), Nature 560, 553, 2018.
- " Brexit: Everyone Loses, but Britain Loses the Most," (with María C. Latorre, Zoryana Olekseyuk, and Sherman Robinson), Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) Working Paper : 19-5, 2019.
- " Poverty and shared prosperity implications of deep integration in Eastern and Southern Africa," (with Edward J. Balistreri, Maryla Maliszewska, Israel Osorio-Rodarte, and David G. Tarr), Policy Research Working Paper : 7660 (WBP7660), The World Bank , Development Economics, Development Prospects Group, 2016.
- "El Impacto en la Economía Española de la firma de la asociación Transatlántica de Comercio e Inversión (TTIP) con EE.UU." (with María C. Latorre and Jing Zhou), Instituto de Estudios Económicos , Madrid, 2015.
- " Reducing trade costs in east Africa: deep regional integration and multilateral action," (with Edward J. Balistreri and David G. Tarr), Policy Research Working Paper : 7049 (WBP7049), The World Bank , Development Research Group, Trade and International Integration Team, 2014.
- "Theoretic and empirical issues related to border carbon adjustments", PhD thesis, 2012.