Hidemichi YonezawaDownload CV (121 KB)
About Hidemichi Yonezawa
Hidemichi Yonezawa is a senior researcher in the Division for Environmental, Resource and Innovation Economics at the Research Department at Statistics Norway. His research focuses on analyzing the role of public policy by employing both theoretical framework and numerical simulation models. He investigates how to design public policy by examining the economic efficiency and distributional impacts across regions and among households differentiated by various socio-economic characteristics, such as income, residence area (urban vs. rural), or age. His research focuses on environmental/energy economics and international trade. Before joining Statistics Norway, he was a postdoctoral researcher at ETH Zurich and University of Ottawa. He earned a Ph.D. in Mineral and Energy Economics and a Master's degree in Engineering and Technology Management at Colorado School of Mines, and also holds a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry and Engineering from Tohoku University.
Publications (Journal Articles):
- Environmental and Energy Economics:
- “ Comparing applied general equilibrium and econometric estimates of the effect of an environmental policy shock,” (with Jared C. Carbone, Nicolas Rivers, and Akio Yamazaki), Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists , 7(4): 687-719, 2020. This paper received hornorable mention for 2020 JAERE Best Paper Award.
- “ Optimal environmental border adjustments under the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade,” (with Edward J. Balistreri and Daniel T. Kaffine), Environmental and Resource Economics , 74(3): 1037-1075, 2019.
- “ Higher price, lower costs? Minimum prices in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme,” (with Jan Abrell and Sebastian Rausch), Scandinavian Journal of Economics , 121(2): 446-481, 2019.
- “ The intergenerational incidence of green tax reform,” (with Sebastian Rausch), Climate Change Economics , 9(01): 1-25, 2018. The ETH working paper version is mentioned in the NEP-DGE blog.
- “ Vertical fiscal externalities and the environment,” (with Christoph B öhringer and Nicholas Rivers), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management , 77: 51-74, 2016.
- “ A rural myth? Sources and implications of the perceived unfairness of carbon taxes in rural communities,” (with Marisa Beck and Nicholas Rivers), Ecological Economics , 124: 124-134, 2016.
- “ Carbon tax and revenue recycling: Impacts on households in British Columbia,” (with Marisa Beck, Nicholas Rivers, and Randy Wigle), Resource and Energy Economics 41: 40-69, 2015.
- International trade:
- " Foreign multinationals in services sectors: A general equilibrium analysis of Brexit," (with María C. Latorre and Zoryana Olekseyuk), The World Economy , 43: 2830-2859, 2020.
- “ Making sense of Brexit losses: An in-depth review of macroeconomic studies,” (with María C. Latorre, Zoryana Olekseyuk, and Sherman Robinson), Economic Modelling , 89: 72-87, 2020. This paper received the 2020 Best Paper Award in Economic Modeling.
- “ Trade and foreign direct investment-related impacts of Brexit,” (with María C. Latorre and Zoryana Olekseyuk), The World Economy , 43: 2-32, 2020.
- “ Stopped TTIP? Its potential impact on the world and the role of neglected FDI,” (with María C. Latorre), Economic Modelling , 71: 99-120, 2018.
- “ Poverty, welfare and income distribution implications of reducing trade costs through deep integration in Eastern and Southern Africa ,” (with Edward J. Balistreri, Maryla Maliszewska, Israel Osorio-Rodarte, and David G. Tarr), Journal of African Economies , 27(2): 172-200, 2018.
- “ A general equilibrium analysis of FDI growth in Chinese services sectors,” (with María C. Latorre and Jing Zhou), China Economic Review , 47: 172-188, 2018.
- “ Deep integration in eastern and southern Africa: What are the stakes?,” (with Edward J. Balistreri and David Tarr), Journal of African Economies , 24(5): 677-706, 2015.
- “ Consumption rebound could undermine border carbon-adjustment charges,” (with Edward J. Balistreri and Daniel T. Kaffine), Nature 560, 553, 2018.
- " Politikk på politikk - derfor koster klimapolitikken," (with Taran Fæhn, Kevin R. Kaushal, Halvor Storrøsten, and Brita Bye), Samfunnsøkonomen , 2, 2021.
- " El impacto del Brexit en la economía española," (with María C. Latorre), Cuadernos económicos de ICE , 100: 125-148, 2020.
- " Green Technology Policies versus Carbon Pricing: An Intergenerational Perspective," (with Sebastian Rausch).
- " Emission targets and coalition options for a small, ambitious country: An analysis of welfare costs and distributional impacts for Norway ," (with Taran Fæhn), revision requested by Energy Economics .
- " The Importance of Deep Integration in Preferential Trade Agreements: The Case of a Successfully Implemented Ukraine-Turkey Free Trade Agreement ," (with Veronika Movchan, Thomas Rutherford, and David G. Tarr), revision requested by Review of World Economics .
- " Impact Assessment of a Potential Future Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between Ukraine and Turkey," (with Veronika Movchan, Thomas Rutherford, and David G. Tarr), Institute for Economic Research and Policy Consulting report , Kyiv, 2020.
- "El impacto económico del Brexit en España," (with María C. Latorre), Ministerio de Industria, Comercio y Turismo, Gobierno de España , 2020.
- " Abating greenhouse gases in the Norwegian non-ETS sector by 50 per cent by 2030," (with Taran Fæhn, Kevin R. Kaushal, Halvor Storr østen, and Brita Bye), Statistics Norway (SSB) report , 2020. The report is covered in Dagens Næringsliv .
- " Effects of changes in electricity prices on the power-intensive industries and other sectors in Norway towards 2030," (with Kevin R. Kaushal and Lars Lindholt), Statistics Norway (SSB) report , 2019.
- " Brexit: Everyone Loses, but Britain Loses the Most," (with María C. Latorre, Zoryana Olekseyuk, and Sherman Robinson), Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) Working Paper : 19-5, 2019.
- " Poverty and shared prosperity implications of deep integration in Eastern and Southern Africa," (with Edward J. Balistreri, Maryla Maliszewska, Israel Osorio-Rodarte, and David G. Tarr), Policy Research Working Paper : 7660 (WBP7660), The World Bank , Development Economics, Development Prospects Group, 2016.
- "El Impacto en la Economía Española de la firma de la asociación Transatlántica de Comercio e Inversión (TTIP) con EE.UU." (with María C. Latorre and Jing Zhou), Instituto de Estudios Económicos , Madrid, 2015.
- " Reducing trade costs in east Africa: deep regional integration and multilateral action," (with Edward J. Balistreri and David G. Tarr), Policy Research Working Paper : 7049 (WBP7049), The World Bank , Development Research Group, Trade and International Integration Team, 2014.
- "Theoretic and empirical issues related to border carbon adjustments", PhD thesis, 2012.