1. Please send the file(s) only when Statistics Norway requests it
2. Files sent to Statistics Norway must be encrypted as 7z files
- The password for the encrypted file is sent by SMS to the agreed number in Statistics Norway.
- You can read about www.7-Zip.org.
3. The transmission takes place via Statistics Norway's secure line
- Always send the data via Statistics Norway's encrypted transmission server.
- Never send data by e-mail or in the mail on CD, memory stick or similar.
4. Note these technical details:
- Preferably: SAS
- Also possible: Flat files in ASCII format, either semicolon (sdv) or comma separated (csv), STATA (.dat has to be ver. 12) or SPSS files (.sav).
4.2 Names of files and variables
- Permitted characters: A-z, 0-9 and _ (underscore). The name cannot start with numbers
- Do not use: æøå, spaces or (special) characters
- All variables on the same file must have unique names of a maximum of 32 characters each.
- If you send several files, it is an advantage that the same variable has the same name in all the places where it occurs.
4.3 Social security number
- Always 11 positions (include leading zeros)
- Always string format, never numeric
Send only the persons / companies and the variables the customer and Statistics Norway have agreed on. Always send with:
- description of the population (unit, selection criteria)
- number of records on file (s) (persons, companies, observations) and whether there are duplicates
- complete variable list (name, label, position, length)
- relevant definitions and code lists
Make Statistics Norway aware of variables that may contain identifying information, such as:
- social security number
- organization number
- name in plain text
- date of births
- address (in plain text or as a code)
- municipality, district or basic district number / name