Turnover slightly up in ocean transport
Total turnover within water transport was NOK 125.8 billion in 2007.
Compared to 2006, turnover in water transport increased by 5.5 per cent. Enterprises engaged in the industry sub class ocean transport represented 78.4 per cent of the industry division.
Tug and supply vessels
The industry sub class of tug and supply vessels had a turnover in 2007 of NOK 18.5 billion and employed 7 130 persons. This is an increase of 9.3 per cent in turnover and 17.1 per cent in employment compared to 2006.
Steady increase for domestic water transport
The industry sub classes domestic freight transport, scheduled long distance inland transport in coastal waters and other coastal water transport in Norway also had a steady increase in turnover and employment from 2006 to 2007. Domestic freight transport had a turnover in 2007 of NOK 2.9 billion and employed 1 256 persons. Compared to 2006, turnover increased by 15.5 per cent while employment grew 15.7 per cent.
Overall investment fell in 2007. Within the industry sub class tug and supply vessels, investments reached NOK 3.2 billion, while in the industry sub class ocean transport, investments reached NOK 3.4 billion.
Statistics on the enterprise level
The structural business statistics for water transport are compiled both on the local KAU level and on the enterprise level. Figures on the enterprise level will usually deviate from figures on the local KAU level. This is due to the fact that the enterprises are registered in the industry subclass that comprises the main part of the activity of the enterprise, and therefore may be registered in a different industry than some of the local KAUs.
Revision of industries
In 2007 and 2008, the enterprises in Statistic Norway’s Central Register of Establishments and Enterprises have been coded in accordance with the new Standard Industrial Classification (SN2007). This has revealed some incorrectly classified enterprises and local KAUs. In such cases, the code according to the current standard (SN2002) has been revised. The new Standard Industrial Classification (SN2007) will be used for the first time in the publishing of preliminary figures for the statistical year of 2008, in October 2009. Descriptions of the classifications are available here.
- Table 1 Sea and coastal water transport. Principal figures, by industry subclass. Local kind-of-activity units. 2004-2007
- Table 2 Sea and Coastal water transport. Principal figures, by number of persons employed and industry group. Local kind-of-activity units. 2007
- Table 3 Water transport (NACE 61 ). Principal figures, by county. Local kind-of-activity units. 2004-2007
- Table 4 Sea and coastal water transport. Principal figures, by industry subclass. Enterprises. 2004-2007
- Table 5 Sea and Coastal water transport. Principal figures, by number of persons employed and industry group. Enterprises. 2007
- Table 6 Sea and coastal water transport excluding ocean transport. Turnover specified by type of service. Enterprise. 2004-2007