Fewer producers - increased production
Figures for 2006 show that there are almost 740 greenhouse establishments in Norway. This is a decrease of 23 per cent since the last census in 1999. In the same period, the greenhouse area and production level have increased.
The trend towards fewer greenhouse establishments continues. Figures for previous censuses also show that the total greenhouse area is falling. This trend has now reversed, and in 2006 2 022 decares of greenhouse was registered, a slight increase from 1999. The area with vegetables and berries has particularly increased. The total area of vegetables has grown by 10 per cent, while the area of berries is more than doubled.
Increased greenhouse production
Parallel with the increase in production area there has been a considerable increase in greenhouse production of goods for sale. In total, 117.5 million cut flowers, 34.4 million flowering potted plants and 2.8 million decorative plants were produced in 2006. Compared with 1999 there has only been a decrease in the production of decorative plants, or green plants. Figures from the census indicate that Norwegians use more and more plants in their gardens. The production of bedding plants reached 44.7 million in 2006, an increase of 41 per cent from 1999.
The total greenhouse production in 2006 came to NOK 1,74 billion (sales value from producer), of which flowers and green plants accounted for NOK 1.17 billion and vegetables accounted for NOK 564.6 million. The sales value of berries produced in greenhouses accounted for NOK 7.5 million.
Sales values for vegetables are NOK 100 million lower than in the preliminary figures published 26 March 2008. This was caused by a too high estimate for lettuce production.
Continued decline in the number of nurseries
152 nurseries produced ornamental plants, fruit trees and berry shrubs in 2006, compared with 223 in 1999. As is the case with greenhouses, the nurseries have increased in size. The total nursery area consisted of 2 490 decares of outdoor area, 499 decares of container-grown plants and 74.8 decares of greenhouse area. The total value of sold plants from nurseries was NOK 182.8 million (sales value from producer).
- Table 1 Holdings with greenhouses, by heating system and area of greenhouses. County. 2006
- Table 2 Holdings with greenhouses and area of greenhouses, by size of greenhouse area per holding. County. 2006
- Table 3 Consumption of energy in greenhouses. County. 2006
- Table 4 Production of cut flowers, flowering potted plants, decorative plants and bedding plants. 1998 and 2006
- Table 5 Production of vegetables and berries. 1998 and 2006
- Table 6 Salesvalue of production produced in greenhouses. County. 2006
- Table 7 Holdings with nurseries and nursery area. County. 2006
- Table 8 Area of different plants in greenhouses, by county. 2006. Annual acreage
Find more figures
Find detailed tables with time series, and more detailed data in StatBank
Statistics Norway's Information Centre
tel.: (+47) 21 09 46 42