Results from revised classification of occupations (ISCO-08)
In 2011, Statistics Norway implemented the revised classification of occupations (ISCO-08). Here we present the first results from the Labour force survey (LFS) 2011 using the new standard. The figures for 2011 are not comparable to previous annual results.
The revised classification retains the same main structure as before, with 10 major groups. The most important changes are that similar tasks and duties are now emphasised more than formal competencies. All teachers and nurses are now classified in Major group 2 (“Professionals”). Previously, these were classified both in Major group 2 and Major group 3 (“Technicians and associate professionals”). Another change is that there are fewer occupations as plant and machine operators and assemblers (Major group 8). Several new unit groups have been introduced, especially within ICT, health and office clerks.
In the 1st quarter of 2011, the information on occupation in the LFS has been coded according to the old and the new and revised classifications. Based on this double coding, estimated figures for the annual average of 2011 have been produced. The figures below show the results.
|STYRK-08||STYRK (old classification)|
|1 000||Per cent||1 000||Per cent|
|In total||2 543||100||2 543||100|
|Technicians and associate professionals||418||16||643||25|
|Clerical support workers||171||7||169||7|
|Service and sales workers||557||22||600||24|
|Skilled agricultural, forestry and fishery workers||53||2||53||2|
|Craft and related trades workers||242||9||252||10|
|Plant and machine operators, and assemblers||168||7||178||7|
As mentioned above, the figures from the old and the new and revised classification are not to be compared without reservations. However, the double coding of the results in LFS in the 1st quarter gives an idea of the impact.
The Norwegian Standard Classification of occupations (STYRK-08) is based on ILO’s International Standard Classification of Occupations (ISCO-08). STYRK-08 replaces the old standard, called STYRK ( ST tandard for YR rkes K lassifisering), which was based on ISCO-88. STYRK-08 is strongly based on the structure of ISCO-08 in order to improve international comparability.
- Table 1. Employed persons, by occupation and sex(LFS). Annual average 2011. 1 000
- Table 2. Employed persons, by occupation and sex(LFS). Annual average 2011. Per cent
- Table 3. Employed persons, by sex and occupation (4 digit level). Annual average 2011. 1 000 (Corrected 27 April 2012)
- Table 4. Employed persons, by occupation and part-time/ full-time (LFS). Annual average 2011. 1 000 and per cent
- Table 5. Employed persons, by occupation, age and sex (LFS). Annual average 2011. 1 000
- Table 6. Employed persons, by occupation and major industry division (LFS). Annual average 2011. 1 000
- Table 7. Employed persons, by sex, county and occupation (LFS). Annual average 2011. 1 000
- Table 8. Employed persons, by occupation and sector (LFS). Annual average 2011. 1 000 (Updated 13 September 2012)
The statistics is published with Labour force survey.