This is an archived release.
Proportion of women almost unchanged
The proportion of female owners in enterprises owned by physical personshas only increased marginally during the last year. Three out of four sole proprietorships are still owned by men.
Proportion of women highest in general partnerships
The highest proportion of women is found in general partnership (26.5 per cent). The highest number of women is found in sole proprietorships, which is the most common organisational structure among enterprises owned by physical persons.
Highest proportion of women in enterprises with many employees
One of four sole proprietorships has a female owner. The proportion of women increases with the size of the enterprise. Women own 36 per cent of the sole proprietorships with more than 50 employees.
Traditional choice of economic activity
Both women and men choose traditional industries. The largest share of female owners of sole proprietorships is found within health and social work (50.5 per cent) and other community, social and personal service activities (52 per cent). Men dominate as owners of sole proprietorships in construction (98.8 per cent), electricity, gas and water supply (97.5 per cent), financial intermediation (92.6 per cent) and transport, storage and communication (91.3 per cent)
Female owners are younger and more educated
While almost four out of ten female owners have higher education, this is the case for three out of ten male owners. Female owners are also younger than male owners. Six out of ten female owners are younger than 44 years, against five out of ten male.
More figures in StatBank Norway
More data on enterprises and actors by industry, organisational structure, county, size by number of employees, gender, age and level of education is available in StatBank Norway.
- Table 1 Personal owned enterprise, by organizational structure and gender. 1 January 2005
- Table 2 Sole proprietorships by economic activity and gender. 1 January 2004 and 2005
- Table 3 Other personal owned enterprises , by economic activity and gender. 1 January 2004 and 2005
- Table 4 Actors in personal owned enterprises, by gender and sizegroups. 1 January 2005
- Table 5 Owners of sole proprietorships , by gender and level of education. 1 January 2005
- Table 6 Owners of sole proprietorships , by gender and age. 1 January 2005