This is an archived release.
Sales for 61,7 billion within post and telecom
The sales in local kind of activity units in post and telecommunications amounted to NOK 61.7 billion, and 42 250 persons were employed in the industry in 2001. Post and telecommunications consists of the industries national post activities, courier activities and telecommunications.
Local kind of activity units (local KAUs) in the telecommunication industry had a turnover of NOK 47.9 billion in 2001. This was a decrease of 7.6 per cent from the year before, but the decline is mainly due to the restructuring of enterprises in the industry. Within post and courier activities the sales totalled NOK 12.5 and 1.3 billions respectively, and this was a growth of 3.8 and 8.4 per cent from 2000.
Increased employment within telecommunications and courier activities
The telecommunication industry employed 13 428 persons in 2001. This represents an increase of 10.9 per cent from the year before. 25 487 persons were employed within post activities in 2001, a decrease of 6.2 per cent from 2000. The courier industry employed 3 335 persons in 2001, an increase by 17.7 per cent.
Negative operating result within telecommunications
The local KAUs in the telecommunication industry had a negative operating result of NOK 186.3 million in 2001. In 2000 and 1999 the industry had positive operating results of NOK 2.4 and 3.8 billion. The local KAUs within post and courier activities had positive operating results in 2001 of NOK 680.6 and 57.7 million, respectively.
Increase in the investments within telecommunications
In 2001 the investments among local KAUs in the telecommunication industry came to NOK 9.3 billion. In 2000 the investments amounted to NOK 7.4 billion and year before that 6.4 billion. In the post and courier industry the investments amounted to NOK 4.9 and 15.9 million respectively in 2001. This represent a decrease of 84.6 and 31.1 per cent compared with the year before.
A few big companies characterize the industries telecommunication and post activities. Restructurings in these companies will have a considerable influence on the numbers distributed on counties.
Statistics on the enterprise level
The structural business statistics for post and telecommunications are compiled both on the local KAU level and on the enterprise level. On the enterprise level the turnover was NOK 63.7 billion in 2001, while the total number of employees was 43 030 persons. The investments were NOK 9.2 billion.
Local KAUs and enterprises
Figures on the enterprise level will usually deviate somewhat from figures compiled on the local KAU level due to the fact that their enterprises are registered in the industry subclass that comprises the main part of the activity of the enterprise, and therefore may be registered in a different industry than some of the local KAUs.
- Table 1 Post and telecommunications. Principal figures, by industry subclass. Local kind-of-activity units. 1999-2001
- Table 2 Post and telecommunications. Principal figures, by number of persons employed and industry group. Local kind-of-activity units. 2001
- Table 3 Post and courier activities (NACE 64.1). Principal figures, by county. Local kind-of-activity units. 2000 and 2001
- Table 4 Telecommunications (NACE 64.2). Principal figures, by county. Local kind-of-activity units. 2001
- Table 5 Post and telecommunications. Principal figures, by industry subclass. Enterprises. 1999-2001
- Table 6 Post and telecommunications. Principal figures, by number of persons employed and industry group. Enterprises. 2001