84090
/en/sosiale-forhold-og-kriminalitet/statistikker/barneverng/arkiv
84090
Increase in employees and children in the Child Welfare Services
statistikk
2012-06-27T10:00:00.000Z
Social conditions, welfare and crime;Public sector;Immigration and immigrants
en
barneverng, Child welfare, municipal child welfare service, child welfare measures, investigation cases, reports of concerns, assistance, care, foster homes, visit homes, personal support contact, children under supervision, child welfare institutions, emergency shelter homes, neglect, child abuse, behavioural problems, placements, processing timeKOSTRA , Social conditions, welfare and crime, Child welfare and family counselling , Social conditions, welfare and crime, Public sector, Immigration and immigrants
false

Child welfare2011

Content

Published:

This is an archived release.

Go to latest release

Increase in employees and children in the Child Welfare Services

A total of 52 100 children were the subject of measures by the Child Welfare Services in 2011; an increase of almost 5 per cent compared to 2010. The total number of full-time equivalents (FTEs) in the Child Welfare Services climbed by 14 per cent.

Children subject to measures by the Child Welfare Services per 31 December per 1 000 children, by age group. 2009-2011

From 2010 to 2011 there was an increase of 2 300 children who were the subject of measures by the Child Welfare Services. In the same time period, the number of FTEs has seen a rise of 491, totalling 4 017. NOK 8.8 billion to the Child Welfare ServicesThe total expenditure for the Child Welfare Services grew by more than NOK 1 billion from 2010, and totalled almost NOK 8.8 billion in 2011. Some of this 14 per cent climb can be attributed to the increased wage bill as a result of the higher number of FTEs in the Child Welfare Services in 2011.

Rise in investigation cases

In 2011, the Child Welfare Services initiated 35 100 investigation cases. This is a rise of almost 7 per cent, or 2 200 cases. There where 31 investigation cases per 1 000 children (0-17 years). The child welfare services , school , parents and police initiated investigations in slightly more than half of the cases in 2011.

Assistance measures most used

Assistance measures accounted for 84 per cent of all measures by the Child Welfare Services in 2011. The remaining 16 per cent were the subject of care measures, which have a higher degree of intervention. The most commonly used measure in 2011 was advice and guidance , with 19 600 active measures during the year, covering 38 per cent of the children who were subject to measures by the Child Welfare Services.

Children 0-17 years subject to care measures by the Child Welfare Services per 31 December per 1 000 children 0-17 years. County. 2011

More measures for boys than girls

There were more boys than girls receiving assistance from the Child Welfare Service in 2011; in total 28 650 boys and 23 400 girls, giving a share of respectively 55 and 45 per cent.

Placement measures

By the end of 2011 there were approximately 38 000 children who were subject to measures. Of these children, more than a third where placed outside their own family, either as a care or assistance measure. This means that about 9 per 1 000 children (0-22 years) were placed by the Child Welfare Services. Foster homes covered 7 out of 10 of the placement measures.

14 200 new children subject to child welfare services

Children who were not registered in the statistics the previous year are categorised as new children in the statistics. In 2011 there were 14 200 new children who were subject to measures by the Child Welfare Services, a rise of 4 per cent compared to the 2010 figures. The most commonly used measure for the new children was advice and guidance , which covered approximately 47 per cent.

Main figures for the Child Welfare Services statistics. 2007-2010
 
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
 
Children with measures from the Child Welfare Services during the year 42 625       44 167       46 487       49 781       52 098
Assistance measure 34 916 36 290 38 700 41 708 43 613
Care measure 7 709 7 877 7 787 8 073 8 485
           
Region øst 9 310 9 897 10 583 11 429 11 961
Oslo 4 640 4 882 5 185 5 539 5 526
Region Sør 8 550 8 786 9 049 10 200 11 045
Region Vest 8 844 9 068 9 533 9 835 10 058
Region Midt-Norge 6 344 6 372 6 604 6 965 7 372
Region Nord 4 937 5 162 5 533 5 813 6 136
           
New children with measures 11 730 11 760 12 767 13 727 14 241
           
Children with placement measures per 31. December 10 515 10 847 11 355 12 492 13 177
Assistance measure 4 214 4 441 4 752 5 512 5 907
Care measure 6 301 6 406 6 603 6 980 7 270
           
Investigation cases started 25 098 27 850 30 134 32 858 35 090
Investigation cases closed 24 971 27 142 29 897 32 692 35 878
           
Man-years in the Child Welfare Services per 31. December 3 184 3 294 3 416 3 526 4 017