This is an archived release.
Increased expenses to specialist health services
Final figures for gross current expenditures to general and psychiatric institutions show that t general hospitals had an increase of by 13 per cent from 2000 to 2001 and psychiatric institutions 12 per cent. The total expenditures were NOK 46.9 billion in 2001.
The expenses to general hospitals constituted almost 80 per cent of the total expenses within the specialist health services. Hence, NOK 36.4 billion were used to operate the general hospitals in 2001. Of the total expenditures the expenses to wages and salaries constituted between 70 and 80 per cent. Thus, the increase in total expenses was also reflected in increased wages and salaries. In the tables presented here the gross current expenses are adjusted for reimbursement of paid sick leave. This is not the case for previous publications and not for the similar tables regarding psychiatry, which were published on Wednesday September 18t h. See footnotes for tables 7, 8, and 9 on http://www.ssb.no/english/subjects/03/02/speshelsepsyk_en/ . The transfer of hospitals to state ownership may to some extent have influenced the way the institutions have recorded their expenses.
|Gross current expenses, by type of institution. 1990-2001. Million kroner|
|Type of institution||1990||19951||1996||1997||1998||1999||2000||2001|
|Total||21 545||26 718||29 396||32 155||35 530||38 324||40 864||46 881|
|Somatic institutions, total||16 928||21 186||23 374||25 673||28 230||30 553||32 705||37 754|
|Somatic hospitals||16 478||20 519||22 822||25 148||27 700||30 031||32 151||36 375|
|Somatic nursing homes for special diseases2||321||256||204||180||192||181||191||102|
|Institutions for (re)habilitation||47||208||239||248||222||227||240||1 115|
|Cottage hospitals/maternity homes3||78||86||73||60||70||68||75||95|
|Other somatic institutions4||5||116||36||37||45||45||48||68|
|Psychiatric institutions, total||4 617||5 740||6 257||6 737||7 591||7 771||8 158||9 127|
|Psychiatric institutions for adults||4 148||4 891||5 329||5 681||6 397||6 796||7 096||7 911|
|Psychiatric institutions for children and adolescents||469||641||693||800||903||975||1 062||1 216|
|Total gross current expenses in 1990 kroner||21545||22335||22978||23201||23108||24394||26338||27596|
From 1994 expenses for staff housing and kindergarten are excluded from gross current expenses and shared expenses in hospitals with both somatic and psychiatric
wards are distributed to the relevant ward.
From 1992 gross current expenses for specialised somatic homes have been reduced. This is caused by a reduction in the number of nursing homes for special diseases
during this period. These institutions have been altered to ordinary nursing homes run by the municipalities or institutions within rehabilitation.
|3||Gross current expenses for cottage hospitals and maternity homes have been reduced from 1995, due to decline in activity, personnel and beds in these institutions.|
From 1992 to 1993 there were a large increase in gross current expenses caused by inclusion of an other institution in the statistic material. Gross current expenses
are reduced from 1995 to 1996 because this institution was included in a somatic hospital in 1996.
Increased expenses in the late 1990s
In 1990 the total expenses were NOK 215 billion, and in 2001 46.9 billion. This corresponds to a yearly increase of 7 per cent. In the period 1990 - 1995 on average the expenses rose by 4 per cent, compared with 10 per cent in the period 1995 - 2001. Somatic institutions constituted almost 80 per cent of total institutions, and these institutions had somewhat higher growth than the psychiatric institutions.
In fixed prices on average the expenses increased by 4 per cent in the period 1990 -2001. From 1990 - 1995 the growth was about 2.5 per cent on average, while the corresponding growth from 1995 - 2001 was 5 per cent. The volume increase from 2000 to 2001 was 7 per cent.
Higher portion of expenses to psychiatric institutions for children and adolescents
In 2001 the expenses to institutions for children and adolescents constituted 13 per cent of the total expenses in psychiatric institutions, an increase from 10 per cent in 1990. This indicates that these institutions have had a higher growth than the institutions for adults. The expenses to institutions for children and adolescents grew by 14.5 per cent from 2000 to 2001, to a total of NOK 1.2 billion. The expenses of institutions for adults increased by 12 per cent to a total of NOK 8 billion in 2001.
Variations among counties
The counties expenses' to own residents are calculated by adjusting the figures for income and expenses related to patients resident from other counties. In 1990 the counties' expenses to somatic institutions were almost NOK 4 000 per. resident. This increased to almost NOK 8 000 in 2001. Troms is the county that had the highest expenditure, with NOK 12000 per. resident in 2001, which is 50 per cent more than the average for the counties. The county with the lowest expenditure per resident was Akershus, which used NOK 5 000 per resident.
In 2001 about NOK 2000 per resident above 18 years were spent on psychiatric institutions for adults, while NOK 1 000 per resident under 18 years were spent on psychiatric institutions for children and adolescents. Oslo has had the highest expenditure per. resident both for adults, and children and adolescents during the whole period 1990 - 2001. Oslo used in 2001 NOK 3 700 per resident in institutions for adults and NOK 2000 in institutions for children and adolescents. Vestfold and Sør-Trøndelag had the lowest expenditure per resident on institutions for adults. These counties used almost NOK 1 700 per resident. Expenses on institutions for children and adolescents were lowest in Rogaland, where about NOK 800 were used pr. resident.
Institutions within the specialist health services are somatic and psychiatric institutions such as hospitals, outpatient clinics, training and rehabilitation institutions, after-care homes etc. Receiving these health services usually requires a referral from a physician in the primary health services, if it is a question of acute hospitalization.
All hospitals and other institutions that formally were owned by the counties have used the KOSTRA system in reporting their accounts. The KOSTRA figures were published on the 17 June 2002. In the tables there are also accounts for hospitals and other institutions that are not included in the KOSTRA system. For the first time are accounts for training and rehabilitation institutions owned by the state or by private actors are included. Expenses in these institutions were about NOK 900 million.
- Table 1 Gross current expenses, by type of institution. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 2 Gross current expenses, by type of institution in 1990 kroner. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 3 Gross current expenses and gross current revenue of somatic and psychiatric institutionsm by category of expenses. 1990-2001. 1 000 kr
- Table 4 Gross current expenses for somatic institutions, by county. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 5 Gross current expenses to psychiatric institutions for adults, by county. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 6 Gross current expenses for institutions for children and adolescents, by county. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 7 The counties' gross operating expenses on somatic institusions, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 8 The counties' gross operating expenses to psychiatric institutions for adults, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 9 The counties' gross operating expenses to institutions for children and adolescents, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. 1 000 kroner
- Table 10 The counties gross operating expenses to somatic and psyciatric institutions, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. Kroner per inhabitant
- Table 11 The counties gross operating expenses to somatic institutions, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. Kroner per inhabitant
- Table 12 The counties gross operating expenses to psychiatric institutions for adults, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. Kroner per inhabitant aged 18 and above
- Table 13 The counties gross operating expenses to psychiatric institutions for children and adolescents, corrected for guest patient adjustment. 1990-2001. Kroner per inhabitant aged 0-17