This is an archived release.
Still fewer abortions among teenagers
The number of induced abortions among teenagers are still decreasing and came to 13 888 in 2003 - 12.9 per 1 000 females aged 15-49 years. The decreasing trend in abortions among teenagers continued last year by 16.4 per 1 000 females aged 15 - 19.
In 2003, 15 504 petitions were made for abortions. For 13 888 of these petitions the outcome was an induced abortion.
The decreasing trend in abortions among teenagers continued in 2003 and last year 16.4 abortions per 1 000 women were recorded among 15-19 year olds. This is the lowest number ever observed during the period of 25 years with the actual law of abortion.
The number of abortions up to 10 weeks pregnancy was amounted to 11 329. Of these 39 per cent were induced farmeutical and 45 per cent by surgery.
Of the 641 petitions handled in abortion committees, 510 resulted in induced abortion. The remaining petitions were rejected or not carried out for other reasons. About 45 per cent of the petitions for abortion granted by a committee were of social reasons. About 37 per cent were made due to serious risk for the health of the foetus.
- Table 1 Induced abortions, by woman's age. 1979-2003
- Table 2 Induced abortions, by woman's county of residence. 1980-2003
- Table 3 Induced abortions, per 1000 women 15-49 year and by woman's county of residence1980-2003
- Table 4 Induced abortions among teenagers (-19 years) by woman's county of residence 1999-2003
- Table 5 Induced commitee treats abortions by paragrafs. 1999-2003
- Table 6 Induced abortions by period of gestation and the womans age. 2003
- Table 7 Induced abortions by period of gestation and sort of decision. 2003
- Table 8 Abortions by woman`s cohabitional status and county of residence. 1996, 1997, 1999,2000,2001 og 2002
- Table 9 Induced abortions by woman´s county of residence, and part of town in Oslo 1999-2003
- Table 10 Induced abortions within 9 weeks and use of medicaments. 2000-2003
- Table 11 Induced abortions as percentage of live births, by woman's county of residence 1980- 2003