This is an archived release.
Strong increase in immigration from Poland
During 2007, the immigrant population in Norway increased by 44 300. This is the largest annual increase ever recorded. The immigrant population now totals 459 600 people, of which 381 000 are first-generation immigrants and 79 000 were born in Norway of foreign parents.
The immigrant population accounts for almost 10 per cent of the total population. The increase in 2007 was made up of 39 000 immigrations from other countries in 5 500 persons born in Norway. Among the 39 000 immigrations, 26 000 had European origin.
Polish immigrants make up largest immigrant group
Counting 32 100 persons, immigrants from Poland now make up the largest immigrant group, followed by immigrants from Pakistan (29 100), Sweden (26 200) and Iraq (22 900). The growth in the Polish immigrant group during 2007 was 13 200. The majority were emigrants while 1 400 persons were born in Norway of Polish parents.
Increasing immigration and changes in origin
The growth in the immigrant population was 54 000 in the period 2002-2004, compared with 95 000 in the period 2005-2007. In the first period, 95 per cent of the increase was made up by immigrants from countries outside Europe, but this decreased to 46 per cent in the last three-year period.
- Table 1 Population 1 January 2007 and 2008 and changes in 2007, by immigrant category and country background
- Table 2 Five different delimitations of persons with immigration background/foreign background, by citizenship and immigrant category. 1 January 2008
- Table 3 Three categories of immigration background ,country of birth and citizenship by country background and sex. 1 January 2008
- Table 4 Three variants of immigration background, country of birth and citizenship, 1 January 2008
- Table 5 Immigrant population and persons with other immigrant background, by country background and sex. 1 January 2008
- Table 6 Immigrant population and persons with other immigration background by sexs, age and country background. 1 January 2008. Absolute numbers and per cent
- Table 7 Population and the immigrant population, by country background. 1970-2008. Absolute numbers and per cent
- Table 8 Population by Norwegian1. 1 January 2008
- Table 9 Immigrant population by country background and county. 1 January 2008
- Table 10 Immigrant population, by country background and municipality. 1 January 2008. Absolute numbers and per cent
- Table 11 Immigrant population by country of birth, (the 20 largest groups). Selected municipalities. 1 January 2008
- Table 12 Immigrant population by five groups of country background. Urban districts of Oslo. 1 January 2008. Absolute numbers and per cent
- Table 13 Immigrant population by two groups of country background and age. Urban districts of Oslo. 1 January 2008
- Table 14 First generation immigrants, by lenght of stay/first immigrations year and country background2. 1 January 2008