This is an archived release.
Many new Iraqi immigrants
After several years of asylum seekers arriving from Iraq this group is now among the ten largest nationality groups in Norway. Persons with an Iraqi background comprise the seventh of the ten.
The immigrant population in Norway numbered approximately 297 700 persons at the beginning of 2001, thereby making up 6.6 per cent of the total population. This is an increase of 0.3 percentage points since 1 January 2000.
During 2000 the immigrant population increased by 15 200 persons. 11 400 of these were first generation immigrants. The number of persons with a background from Iraq rose the most, 4 700 persons.
|Ten largest nasjonality groups. First-generation immigrants and persons born in Norway with to foreign born parents. 1 January 2001|
|First generation immigrants||Persons born in Norway with to foreign born parents|
|Total||249 904||Total||47 827|
|Sweden||22 100||Pakistan||10 027|
|Denmark||17 728||Vietnam||4 649|
|Pakistan||13 554||Turkey||3 483|
|Yugoslavia||13 001||Sri Lanka||3 043|
|Bosnia-Herzegovina||11 775||Yugoslavia||2 468|
|Vietnam||11 231||Somalia||2 202|
|Iraq||11 212||India||2 037|
|United Kingdom||10 342||Morocco||1 849|
|Iran||9 645||Iran||1 371|
|Germany||8 923||Denmark||1 321|
- Table 1 Five different delimitations of persons with immigration background/foreign background, by citizenship and immigrant category. 1 January 2001
- Table 2 Population 1 January 2000 and 2001 and changes in 2000, by immigrant category
- Table 3 Population by three variants of country background,country of birth and citizenship.1 January 2001
- Table 4 Population by grouping of three variants of country background, country of birth and citizenship, 1 january 2001
- Table 5 Immigrant population and persons with other immigrant background , by immigrant category, sex and country of birth. 1 January 2001.
- Table 6 Immigrant population and persons with other immigration background by immigrant category and age groups.1 January 2001
- Table 7 Immigrant population and persons with other immigration background by immigrant category and age.1 January 2001
- Table 8 Population by country background. 1970-2001. Foreign country background refers to immigrant population
- Table 9 Population by Norwegian1.1 January 2001
- Table 10 Population by age, sex and immigrant populations country of birth. 1 January 2001
- Table 11 Population by marital status, immigrant populations country og birth and sex. 1 January 2001
- Table 12 Immigrant population by country background. Municipality.Classified by size of immigrant population. 1 January 2001
- Table 13 Immigrant population by five groups of country background. Municipality. 1 January 2001
- Table 14 Immigrant population by country background. County. 1 January 2001
- Table 15 Immigrant population by counntry of birth, (largest groups) Selected municipalities. 1 January 2001
- Table 16 Immigrant population by two groups of country background. Urban districts of Oslo. 1 January 2001
- Table 17 Immigrant population by five groups of country background. Urban districts of Oslo. 1 January 2001
- Table 18 First generation immigrants by lenght of stay 2. 1 January 2001