This is an archived release.
Wages up 1.2 per cent in manufacturing
The preliminary wage index for the last quarter shows a 1.2 per cent increase in basic salaries for full-time employees in manufacturing. The equivalent increase for the first to second quarter of 2010 was 0.1 per cent.
The statistics show wage developments throughout the year for full-time employees within different industries. Wage developments vary between industries and differing quarters throughout the year. Two indices are presented; one that shows changes in basic salaries, and one showing changes in basic salaries including irregular payments and bonuses.
The preliminary wage index for average monthly earnings shows a 1.2 per cent increase for full-time employees within construction for the last quarter. For manufacturing and oil and gas extraction and mining the average monthly earnings have decreased by 1.7 per cent and 7.3 per cent respectively from the first to the second quarter of 2011. This is due to less bonus payments being paid in the second quarter compared to the first. In comparison, full-time employees within electricity supply received a 6.5 per cent increase in average monthly earnings in this last quarter, which is largely due to an increase in bonus payments this quarter.
For more tables on wage statistics, see StatBank Norway .
“Average monthly earnings” includes basic salaries, irregular payments and bonuses. Bonuses are often paid at irregular intervals, which means that this index is subject to greater fluctuations than the index for basic salaries. Overtime payment is not included in the statistics.
- Table 1 Index on average monthly earnings for full-time employees, by section. Average of year 2005=100
- Table 2 Changes in average monthly earnings from the corresponding quarter the year before by section. Per cent
- Table 3 Index on average basic salaries for full-time employees, by section. Average of year 2005=100.
- Table 4 Changes in average basic salaries from the corresponding quarter the year before by section. Per cent
- Table 5 Average monthly earnings and basic salaries for full-time employees, by section.
The statistics is now published as Number of employments and earnings.