Slight fall in abortions
The number of induced abortions in 2005 was 13 989, marginally lower than in 2004. Abortions among teenagers were more or less stable compared to the year before.
The total numbers of induced abortions in 2005 was 13 989, down from 14 071 in 2004. Of these 2 211 were abortion among teenagers.
Per 1 000 women between 15 and 49 years there were 12,9 abortions in 2005. For teenagers between 15-19 years, there were 15,4 abortion per 1 000 women.
Of the 698 petitions handled in abortion committees, 580 resulted in induced abortion. The remaining petitions were rejected or not carried out for other reasons.
Abortion induced by pharmaceuticals are getting more common in abortions within 9 weeks of pregnancy. 45.5 per cent of the abortions were carried out this way in 2005.
The Division for Health statistics in Statistics Norway is the data processor for the Abortion registry while The Norwegian Institute of Public Health owns the register.
- Table 1 Induced abortions, by woman's age. 1979-2005
- Table 2 Induced abortions, by woman's county of residence. 1980-2005
- Table 3 Induced abortions, per 1 000 women 15-49 year and by woman's county of residence. 1980-2005
- Table 4 Induced abortions among teenagers (-19 years) , by woman's county of residence. 1999-2005
- Table 5 Induced abortions, by period of gestation and the womans age. 2005 (Corrected 24 May 2006)
- Table 6 Induced abortions, by period of gestation and sort of decision. 2005
- Table 7 Abortions, by woman`s cohabitional status and county of residence. 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2005
- Table 8 Induced abortions within 9 weeks and use of medicaments. 2000-2005
- Table 9 Induced abortions as percentage of live births, by woman's county of residence. 1980-2005
- Table 10 Induced abortions, by woman´s county of residence, and part of town in Oslo. 2005
- Table 11 Induced commitee treats abortions, by paragrafs. 1999-2005
Find more figures
Find detailed tables with time series, and more detailed data in StatBank
Statistics Norway's Information Centre
tel.: (+47) 21 09 46 42