Minor changes in number of permissions for motor traffic
In 2011, Norwegian municipalities granted almost 13 900 new permissions for motor traffic on uncultivated areas and watercourses. In addition, 10 000 permissions from previous years were still valid. The total number of valid permissions showed a small decrease from the previous year.
Motor traffic on uncultivated areas and watercourses is forbidden in principle. However, under the Motor Traffic and Environment Act, local government authorities may grant exemptions from this rule and allow motor traffic for certain purposes. No data on actual traffic are available, but KOSTRA provides information on permissions granted by local government authorities.
In 2011, the number of new permissions granted was nearly the same as in 2010. However, the total number of permissions valid in 2011 was 5 per cent lower than in 2010. The share of granted applications went up from 95 per cent in 2010 to 97 per cent in 2010. The three northernmost counties had about 45 per cent of the applications.
Municipal land conservation
The conservation of areas for environmental purposes is generally regulated by legal acts administered by central government. However, the Planning and Building Act gives municipalities the opportunity to protect areas of special value from development. Preservation of cultural heritage and protection of nature and landscape are the considerations that are taken into account. In 2011, about 27 per cent of all area development plans adopted contained areas protected by the municipality. In 2010, the share was 18 per cent.
For general information on KOSTRA, see http://www.ssb.no/english/subjects/00/00/20/kostra_en/ .
- Table 1 Processing of applications for permissions under the Act relating to motor traffic on uncultivated land and in water courses
- Table 2 No. of plans relating to municipal preservation of cultural heritage and protection of nature and landscape
- Table 3 Municipal expenses, revenues and investments within recreation in urban areas (function 335) and nature management and outdoor recreation (function 360). NOK 1 000
- Table 4 Municipal expenses, revenues and investments within protection of cultural heritage (function 365). NOK 1 000
- Table 5 Gross operating expenses, operating revenues and investments in outdoor recreation (function 716). County authorities. 1000 NOK
- Table 6 Gross operating expenses, operating revenues and investments in cultural heritage (function 750). County authorities. NOK 1 000