Continued decrease in abortions among teenagers
While the total number of induced abortions increased slightly in 2004, the decreasing trend in abortions among teenagers continued.
The decreasing trend in abortions among teenagers s continued in 2004, and 15.7 induced abortions per 1000 were recorded among the 15-19 years olds. This is the lowest number observed since the actual law of abortion was implemented in 1979. However, the total number of induced abortions in 2004 increased slightly from 13 888 in 2003 to 14071 in 2004.
Of the 653 petitions handled in abortion committees, 530 resulted in induced abortion. The remaining petitions were rejected or not carried out for other reasons. About 45 per cent of the petitions for abortion granted by a committee were of social reasons. About 38 per cent were made due to serious risk for the health of the foetus. This pattern has not changed since 2003.
Highest abortion rate in Sweden
Sweden has the highest abortion rate among the Nordic countries, while the lowest is observed in Finland. Denmark and Iceland have an abortion rate at the same level as Norway.
As in Norway, a pregnant woman has self-determination in induced abortion the first 12 weeks of her pregnancy. In Sweden, this limit is 18 weeks, while Finland and Iceland have no self-determination for induced abortion.
Among 3-4 per cent of the abortions has a gestation age of more than 12 weeks in Norway and Denmark, while the similar part is 5-6 per cent in Sweden and Finland.
The Division for Health statistics in Statistics Norway is the data processors for Cause of Death registry while The Norwegian Institute of Public Health is responsible for the contents and use of the register.
- Table 1 Induced abortions, by woman's age. 1979-2004
- Table 2 Induced abortions, by woman's county of residence. 1980-2004
- Table 3 Induced abortions, per 1 000 women 15-49 year and by woman's county of residence. 1980- 2004
- Table 4 Induced abortions among teenagers (-19 years) , by woman's county of residence. 1999-2004
- Table 5 Induced commitee treats abortions, by paragrafs. 1999-2004
- Table 6 Induced abortions by period of gestation and the womans age. 2004
- Table 7 Induced abortions, by period of gestation and sort of decision. 2004
- Table 8 Abortions, by woman`s cohabitional status and county of residence. 1996-2004
- Table 9 Induced abortions within 9 weeks and use of medicaments. 2000-2004
- Table 10 Induced abortions as percentage of live births, by woman's county of residence. 1980-2004
The statistics has been discontinued.